Part 2 - make the cabinets functional. Again, prefacing this post with the fact that we rushed this whole cabinet process and will definitely 'upgrade' them in the future. For now they have been great, we've just thought up some future improvements.
The driver-side cabinets only open in the front and not the top. We had cut holes for access points into the thin facade of the cabinet and were then faced with how to make doors/closures. So we figured sliders and curtains were a quick install with little guesswork needed. Here's what it looked like prior to adding on the sliders:
To prep the cabinet frame for the sliders, we did the following:
- Top End: We left a gap at the top between the facade and the piece of wood behind the braces it (we only screwed these two pieces together at the far right and left ends so the the sliders could move freely in-between)
- Bottom End: We created a track out of a plastic window frame molding adhered to a 1" wide shim, and then screwed that directly into the flooring.
Creating The Sliding Doors
We used excess pieces of our original 4'x8' plywood to create the sliding doors with. I spray-mounted a printed paper to them (from Paper Source) and then mod-podged it to seal/finish it. Mike drilled large holes as grips for moving the doors. Once inserted, they work pretty well.
Passenger-Side, Piano-hinge Cabinet
For the passenger side cabinets (along the sliding door side of the van), we used a top-opening piano hinge to maximize the use of space (because there isn't a great area to create front-facing holes in the cabinets on this side).
Mike added on the piano-hinge then we adhered it to the wall anchors (same as the other side):
The final touches were the little curtains on the small cubby holes, hooks in the front of the cabinets and the beer opener in the back :)