We're slowly building the van back up - it's so satisfying to see progress!
We cut and installed in the flooring this weekend. Mike dusted off the circular saw and the cutting commenced. After a lot of "Hmm-ing" and "Haa-ing" we decided on a antique-looking bamboo snap-in floor from Menards. After the panels were cut to size, Mike used a rubber mallet to tap them into place.
Fast forward and here's how it turned out!
Here's how we tackled the trim panels:
- Clean up the panel, remove the original pleather covering
- Glue any cracks and patch holes (we used cardboard, seemed to be the same thickness)
- Lay felt over the panel and trace out where you will cut
- Trim the felt as traced
- Hot glue the felt to the front and the back of the panel
- Spray mount your fabric to the front of the felt (to avoid any billowing between the layers)
- Hot glue the fabric to the back of the panel
We chose gingham, it seemed vintage-appropriate. Burt looks all spiffed up with the new trims - I can't get over it :D
FatMat was finally rolled over the ceiling - 'nuff said.
It's amazing to see progress like this - it seems like we did so much more than normal this past weekend. I suppose it's just an optical illusion because we're no longer stripping things back and we're finally building Burt back up. We're so close now, we can't wait to share Burt's final interior with you in the next few weeks!