Cheesemaking. Delish. Nuff said.
Walking Dead - The Cheesemaking Episode
I'm a Walking Dead fan. And anyone (including me) who saw the most recent season now thinks that making goat cheese is REALLY HARD TO DO! A character, Eastman, continually attempts (and fails) to make goat cheese.
Well, time to debunk the myth. I made some cheese today and it was pretty simple and really rewarding! I'm wondering if it's just that there's a lack of lemons in the zombie apocalypse? Or maybe his goat, Tabitha (RIP), produced sour milk?
Here's The How To:
- 1/2 Gallon Goat Milk
- Juice of 4 Lemons
- 2 OZ Vinegar (I used white)
- 1 TSP Salt
- Dried Herbs (I used purple basil that I dried from our garden)
- Gather your ingredients
- Pour your milk into a sauce pan and heat until 180'F (just about boiling)
- Remove from heat and let rest for 2 minutes, then stir in the lemon juice
- Lightly stir in the vinegar and let rest for another 2 minutes (until curdling begins)
- Layer a colander with 2-3 layers of cheesecloth and pour your curdled milk into the cheesecloth
- Gather the ends of the cheesecloth and hang the cheese from your faucet for 1 hour
- Sprinkle with died herbs
We dug into ours right away, but if you wrap it in saran wrap you can roll it up and refrigerate too. The product I ended up with is softer than store-bought; so light and airy, like a magical cloud of delightful, cheese goodness!